View Single Post
      01-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #54
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I started looking at the Model S in 2012. I drive a minimum 175 miles a day. I'd love to have an electric sports sedan to retire my E90. The Model S didn't payback itself for my commute.

A buddy at work got a Model 3 a few months ago; he was a early deposit person. I've been in his car twice. It's fast alright, he has the AWD big battery version. In October, Tesla released the medium battery RWD version. My buddy tried to convince me to order one and take delivery while the $7,500 credit was still available. But I just wasn't all that impressed with the Model 3. It's expensive even with the tax credit and fuel savings. The back seat really really really sucks. I've ridden motorcycles all over the country for nearly 30 years and I was more uncomfortable in the backseat of the Model 3 after 20 minutes than I've ever been on a bike trip with Monkey Butt.

The Model 3 is loud as a regular car at highway speeds. The winter range for the mid-size battery is marginal for my commute. And it's just outright stupid looking on the front end. So no thanks. I'm waiting on GM, hopefully they'll make a sedan off the Bolt chassis with 260 - 300 miles of range.
To your last bit, I agree. I've always seen Telsa as the catalyst brand for EV. They made them viable and cool for the market.

GM/Toyota/etc are going to roll them out of existance if they're not careful. The disparity in quality control and production capability are still too great for that not to happen.

I'll probably never own a Tesla, but I might own a Toyota TacomaEV in a few more years.