M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffetawhitegsr View Post
Hello all

I have recently assumed a lease from a fellow member, but have a question regarding plates. The deal happened in Los Angeles, but the cars plates were New Jersey. After the assumption was complete, I picked up the car and the original lesee kept the jersey plates.

The kicker is, I am active military and moving to New Mexico, where the car will be registered. The car is under my name, but I do not have temp tags or anything like that. I do have insurance on the car.

Am I legal to drive the car? How do I transport it to New Mexico? Thanks!

Ian
If you have AAA you can get a temporary permit to drive the car without any trouble. In some States the plates are the responsibility of the owner and can be used from car to car and they are kept with the original owner. I did this when I lived in Utah. I had custom plates and put them on two different BMW's, when I registered the car I indicated that I already have plates and re-used them (saved $25 too)

Now I am in CA and I know you have to get it registered within 10 days of operating the vehicle in CA as the new owner of the car. SMOG and possibly VIN check by CHP or DMV office will be required.

Depending on when you are moving to New Mexico, I would consider getting temporary tags from AAA or the DMV or registering the car in California as some of the fellow members have suggested.

Good luck and update us!