03-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
About the only thing a manual's good for these days is drifting.
Or, you know-- actually being *engaged* in the driving of the car and enjoying the interface between driver and machinery, and the skill required thereof.

And I'm not just talking on a track or as a pro driver. Go park/unpark on a hill, drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic or on a twisting road with a lot of high-radius turns-- any idiot can do that with an AT-- but it takes patience and skill to do those things *well* with a MT.

My buddy has two high-school aged fraternal twins-- one took to driving a MT like a fish to water, and the other can barely handle driving to school with an AT without causing an accident-- and he's supposedly the "smart" one of the two.

Personally? I think it's a different mindset in what you want out of the driving experience as much as a mechanical difference.

I'm not much interested that a AT may be .2 seconds faster than a MT-- but I look at it more as a "Yaaaaawn, I guess I'll mosey to the store" vice "Honey-- got any errands for me to run? It's a beautiful day and the mountain twisties are calling my name!"

If I didn't want to row the gears and be engaged in driving for the enjoyment of it, I'd have bought an iPad w/ wheels (i.e. a Tesla 3P) instead of an M2C.

Just my 0.02.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-02-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
stein_325i25051.00