08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You can look at it from the other side as well. You spend over a grand on quality lenses for better image quality. Why add another layer of glass to possibly negate that? I'm not saying it's true or not, but just something to think about. I don't use uv filters anymore. Just lens hoods if I worry about protection. I only use filters if it's necessary for a particular shot (polarizing, neutral density).
I beg to differ. With Canon lens (not sure about Nikon), even with L series lens, you will still get UV glare on the lens and the filters are to reduce those glare. Then again, I do agree that the difference may not be as noticeable, especially when you're shooting directly under the sun outdoors.

Also, the filter lens protects your lens glass scratch not by accidents, but protects it from possible scratches caused when you are cleaning your glass. You DO have to clean your glass sometimes, and the filter is just an extra layer of protection. (I'm sure we all use those microfibre cloth or lens-specific cleaning equipment, but you could still scratch your lens with it if you accidentally, say, catch a couple larger dusts in your cloth and you use it to clean your glass?)

I would definitely use some filters on my lens, but I am not too sure about justifying spending $160-200 on one or a $80 one would suffice.

I definitely wouldnt get those $10 ebay ones as they are just plain glass that does nothing to your lens/photos and they probably increase the glare than reduce it.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0