10-15-2022, 09:16 PM   #79
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
I did a version of this 36 years ago before there ever was a Sober October. I was known to drink to excess some times. It's early October, out with the wife, drinking with friends celebrating my 30th birthday. Drinking Corona at the time, had handful of beers and, which I normally wouldn't do, had a couple of shots of Jack Daniels.

Got up the next morning, felt like shit and proclaimed I'll never do that again, to which my wife responded, yeah I've heard that before. Well, it stuck this time and I quit drinking cold turkey. Never touched a drink of alcohol after.

The other part of this, my wife was a nurse at one of the local Hospitals and her boss lived a couple of houses down the street from us. He would go all out for Halloween. Not sure if this was a sign or something but this particular year, he walks down to our house dressed as the grim reaper and brings me a Corona. I actually accepted the beer but didnt want to seem unappreciative, thanked him for the beer and never mentioned that I quit drinking.

That Carona is still in my refrigerator to this day. It's not that I needed a vice or reminder, it just sat there and it was my beer. I must confess, the first few months were a little tough sticking to not drinking, but I gotta be honest I don't miss it. Would still hang out at some of our favorite haunts, just drank soda. Different perspective when you're in a bar sober and watching drunken assholes thinking was I like that.

We keep beer in the fridge for family/guests and typically local craft type which is what my kids like to drink. Have never been tempted in all these years to have a drink even with all the choices of beer out there today.
Appreciate 0