View Single Post
      07-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
No more manual transmission, unless they make it like the CRZ. Can't imagine landords retrofitting the car ports with electric charging anytime soon or faster charge times at stations and more of them. The drawback of all electric like the tesla is you need to constantly charge the thing, even if you're not driving it for months, or the battery will die, so you're using electricity even when you're not driving.
No more transmission period. One gear is quite doable with the power density and torque curve of electrics, and once again, it's freaking awesome. I don't see the charging thing as an issue whatsoever. For the small amount of relatively well off people in a given complex who own electric cars, they can figure out how and where to charge and install additional electrical as necessary. By the time poor people in apartments are buying electric vehicles, well, the infrastructure will already be taken care of. Presumably that's quite a ways down the road unless battery technology takes a massive leap forward or we subsidize the hell out of EVs.

The power depletion is an issue of the car's software. They'll fix that for sure if they haven't already. To generalize, you can keep a lithium battery stored around 50% state of charge for quite some time and it will not only not self discharge to any significant degree but the quality will be maintained. And I don't know about other cars, but Tesla has a pretty sick unconditional warranty on their batteries, I think it's 8 years.
Appreciate 0