01-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #127
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Time will tell I guess. Just a few days away and I am excited to see what they come to the table with. In the end price doesn't matter, because I still wouldn't buy this over the Viper no matter how cheap they made it. But if the performance is there and the price is reasonable, then maybe we will get to see an ACR Viper before the end of the year. With any luck I will be upgrading my 06 Viper to a 2014 TA next summer.
I haven't driven either one, but owners I've talked to from both sides have agreed that the Viper is much more "raw" than a Corvette. An instructor who drove one of his student's Vipers described it as, "Like wrestling a bear." Plus apparently there's still a huge temperature gap between the footwell and the cabin area proper thanks to insufficient heat shielding from the engine down there. Since this would be my DD and track car, I'm not sure those are the elements I'd want. But if I were buying a pure track car, that might sway my choice. There's something primal about an 8.4L V10, especially in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony135 View Post
Not going to lie, this is the first time I'm considering an American car.
+1, same here, and as an American I'm glad that day has finally come -- or for those older than 28, has come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Listen, I REALLY, REALLY dont want to see an automatic in the new Z06. It will make it too accessible to too many posers.
How does a DCT keep more posers away than a slushbox? I hardly think that a "weirder" start from a stop than they're used to with a slushbox would be a dealbreaker for someone who really wanted to be a poser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
I understand the DCT is faster. I had a 2011 M3 with a DCT and it shifted very fast. I would just like the Z06 to stay true to its roots. A lightweight, track oriented street car. What I meant by accessibility is that now guys that dont drive manuals because they "need" to be on their phones all the time or sipping their lattes or chai's will want to get the latest and greatest out there just to pose.
I'm betting manual is standard with DCT/auto as an option. I can't see the Corvette abandoning following the GT3 and going auto/DCT-only quite yet. If I were buying one, I too would get it in manual even though I go to the track and would therefore benefit from faster shifts. Still, the auto rev match feature should help close some of that gap, though I'd use it only on the track and enjoy the challenge of executing the perfect rev match by myself on the road. My experience with DCT thus far has indicated that FOR ME, while it delivers a thrill that 6MT can't quite match in the form of everything happening with such speed and immediacy (and thus allowing the brake-shift-turn in trifecta all happen much closer together), I could tell that I would get bored of it quickly -- plus that thrill only applies during hard driving. 6MT on the other hand FOR ME gives me fun during ALL driving by the constant challenge of executing perfectly smooth shifts and feeling like a total hero on the few times you get it just perfect because YOU were the one who did it. Plus I love the sensation of throttle-blipping our glorious S65, which isn't the same when I do it with my finger, and I imagine it will be at least as fun to blip the monstrous LT4 going into the Z06.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0