View Single Post
      09-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #24
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtcarroll View Post
People in this thread make me laugh. Too much for a detail? Ever really detail a car properly?

Clean engine
Clean wheels off car
Wash exterior
Clay bar/ paint correction
Seal/wax
Clean interior

On a good day it would take all day.

So 8 hours ? (Which I think is low)

A real company would need atleast $75 a hour so there's $600 plus his materials.

All detailers cut corners to get the cost down to where people who don't own businesses think it should cost.

No I'm not a detailer but I put some thought into it and I don't see how someone could do it "right" for a living unless they had the right clients.

For people to claim more then $150 is too much for a full detail is laughable!
I've never paid for a detailing, and only recently started doing my own detail work - I just now found out I've been washing cars wrong for 30+ years!!

Recently did the listed items above (ex taking the wheels off) - 6.5 hours and that was pushing it. Assume someone that does this for "pay" could do it in half the time (I somehow doubt that), you'd be looking at ~$50/hr at $150. So, if you're only paying $150, they are either shorting you on quality, or willing to take only ~$20/hr.

I also find it hard to believe a quality detail for only $150. I suspect (again, never tested the open market) $300 is the starting point if you want it done well.