View Single Post
      11-23-2020, 02:27 AM   #20
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I still don't have any custom coding yet as I've been sitting on the fence as whether to try and do it myself via eSys or have it professionally done. Upside if I do it myself if any future iDrive upgrades wipe it out I can just easily reapply the custom coding. Just afraid of bricking my car which is a entirely different ball of wax with bricking a $1K or less router, switch, etc. that I have no issues with modding firmware on as if it bricks the device is easily replaceable.

I'm betting that the existing 3D Rendering with your 03/2020 release is just the stock silver everyone gets by default until now at least 07/2020.60 which changes the game. I would have thought that was just a feature added in 07/2020 itself but it sounds like it is point release specific as others still get the silver rendering.
Coding via Esys is not as straightforward as it used to be.... You need an up-to-date launcher or an external system (e.g. EsysX) in order to properly DE-code all the CAFDs else you will not be able to see what you actually do. In fact you will not even know which ECU/parameter/function you are dealing with. So this implies purchasing a program that links to Esys and decodes the CAFDs.

For coding if you want to keep it easy without having to go the Esys/EsyX way, I suggest you take a look at a simple yet powerful APP like Bimmercode. All you need is an OBD bluetooth adapter and their app/license and you are set. It's very quick, user friendly to use and simple to understand. I mostly use Bimmercode (they also have an expert mode to get "deeper" into certain ECU parameters/functions) and turn to Esys only for flashing the complete car.

https://bimmercode.app/

This is used and mentioned a lot on Bimmerpost (on the other series forums) and there is a lot of information to be gathered. Just PM me if you need support or help with it but I am sure you will manage if you decide to go this route. While a decent OBD adapter is necessary, the useful thing with that is that you can also use it later with a given diagnostic app (e.g. bimmertool, torque pro) to diagnose your car and read out eventual fault codes present that do not necessarily trigger a check control warning/message for the driver to see it. That's just to say that such an OBD2 bluetooth adapter can serve several purposes.

Last edited by FBMWWINS; 11-23-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0