01-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I guess call me crazy, but it looked like you were using the challenges of road-tripping a Tesla as a reason not to purchase one.

And you're right. You can't rent a 1997 Z3, but you can rent a lot of nicer cars. Similar use-case arguments can be made against something like a Z3 in terms of 'lack of function'. Not exactly a spacious family car.

Obviously a Tesla isn't for you if every car you own needs to be able to drive across the country on a randomly determined route. I still think that's like arguing against buying a 1997 Z3 because once a year you need to haul firewood to your house for the winter.
I'm being a bit sarcastic obviously. But my point really is, that despite the Tesla's ability for a 300 mile range, it still limits its owner as to where he can drive it long distance. Surely a Tesla owner can travel the major corridors north-south and east-west where superchargers are located, but it requires planning and an app. A Jack Kerouac road trip is the opposite of that, which was my sarcastic input to make an obvious point.

I get the point, you can just own or rent an ICE to take a road trip vs. a Tesla, but I'd counter, renting a car for a two-week road trip is actually quite expensive (I checked into a Mustang convertible) considering you have a perfectly good car at home (I have 4 to choose from - all different to serve a specific use-case). Airplanes over a Tesla for interstate travel is a good example of a use case if you are trying to get to point B at a specific time.

My wife has kept the Z3 for 21 years now, both of us think it is a nice car
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
Soterios575.00