Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Ironic you say that about the blackwood. I can say the same about a Lotus too. Yes being handbuilt is a factor in them being rare. But let's be honest, even if they were mass produced in an assembly line there still wouldn't be too many of them on the roads either. They are niche cars that appeal to a very small segment of the market, a select few car buyers who want such a thing. They are brutal to ride in on the road and are very awful as daily drivers. A claustrophobic spartan interior, a door sill that makes entry and exit almost impossible, lack of room for any passengers or cargo, a very noisy ride, etc. Not to mention that they are very difficult to drive in rain let alone snow and ice. A Lotus is barely any more practical than an Ariel Atom.
The fundamental flaw in your arguement is that there are Lincoln dealerships all over the place. A Lotus dealer is hard to come by. There are 38 in the United States compared to the current 325 (reduced from 500+ in 2011) for Lincoln and they've only been on sale for nine years, stateside. Most people don't even know what a Lotus is, in much the same way that they don't know what a Pagani or McLaren is.

You don't need to keep reiterating all of the shortcomings of a Lotus. I've owned one and am fully aware. The part that's laughable is that the Lincoln was actually very practical and still didn't sell. And at what point did practicality become a prerequisite for an exotic?

My final point comes from my actual experience behind the wheel of the car. Having driven one around for two years, I will tell you that my car was gawked at constantly and I do not live in a poor area. Every time I parked within eyeshot of people, they would almost always approach me with questions and ask to take pictures of it in the exact same way they would if it had a bull or a prancing horse on the front of it. That ain't happening in a Lincoln Blackwood. Do you think they deleted those pictures when they went home and looked up how much the car cost? I doubt it.

I'm not going to continue to belabor this point. Clearly you and I disagree, but from my personal experience, the general public seems to be on my side.

We're doing some serious off-roading here so let's get back on topic.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0