03-05-2023, 06:13 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
When the M8 was first introduced, BMW management definitely described it as their 911-beater. Just as Merc is doing now with the SL. But it's an apples and oranges comparison. BMW tried initially to price the M8 like a 911 and we all know how that worked out. The invisible hand of the market placed the M8 where it belongs - as an awesome GT.

fwiw, I drove 911s for over 25 years and did not find them any less comfortable than the M8. Longest drive in one of my 911s was 1500 miles over two days. I was tired at the end of each of the days, but not sore.
I too drove 911’s in all versions for 3 decades. It’s not just the seats that equal a comfortable drive but the entire experience. The 911 is more of an engaging vehicle and feeling most every little ripple in the road. I find the M8 in comfort a completely different experience and in a positive way.

With respect to BMW claiming it’s a 911 beater, that was a poor attempt at targeting its market share which they want badly. MB’s new SL basically stole the roof line and rearside profile from the 911 cab so it’s a direct competitor in a questionable way lol

The new SL nonetheless is an interesting vehicle and I’d like to try one, but the 63 that’s on par with the M8 is a ~$200k vehicle and I’m not sure it’s worth that kind of premium.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 3
hinckley3492.50
rw99104.00
Egrunt553.00