Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Agree but also see 3 other aspects here:
1. Halo cars don’t make profit but generate brand excitement which sells the sensible stuff. Example Porsche (911, 718) AMG (GT).
2. The 8 is a challenging one bearing in mind I have an M8 on allocation. In my eyes it is a missed opportunity; not luxurious or plush enough to mix it up with Bentley or the S Class Coupe and not sporty enough to hit the AMG GTS, 911 Turbo, AM Vantage or AMR.
3. The M8 has some pretty neat characteristics that can mix it up with the best but no stand out features that give it a place in the hierarchy of greats.

As a BMW fan, I am aching as i know they have the ingredients to produce the best but somehow choose not to; why is that?
N & M can’t but agree with you. The concept 8, how good was that? Love my 8 but it could have been even better, I’m sure it will be the same for the M8C. Why is it so - your question - is spot on. I have a few theories:
1) the finance department takes over (no disrespect to all of the finance professionals out there)
2) manufacturing cannot tolerate unique elements in a highly homogenized and commoditized supply chain
3) the supervisory board prefer a more conservative appearance for the brand aligned to its history of aviation - motorcycles - cars
4) cosmic rays from outer space interfere with the referential integrity of the BMW six-sigma, lean, dev-ops, agile processes
Appreciate 1
N & M371.00