08-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #60
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Tend to agree but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Personally with modern suspension and braking weight is just not what t used to be in terms of making or breaking a track experience. The M5 brakes from 100 10 ft sooner than the Civic type R and the Miata and takes for Lateral G forces. Of course you'll be buying expensive pads way way more on the fat pig BMW than the other light weight cars.

Im gonna say both the AMG GT and the BMW M8 are competing for the gentleman drivers track day cars. luxurious, eye catching, and most importantly extremely easy to drive at the limit vs a 911 or Lamborghini which spin a lot easier. That's Flaschs vision of the M8 anyway.

If Caterham and Lotus were smart they would slide in to the market that BMW and friends left and make some 2500-3000 lbs $50-$100k cars.

I doubt the 'hardcore'M crowd wants or needs all the fancy traction controls and electronics that drive up the cost, and all the lux feautures that drive up weight.

But as far as BMW is concerned sports cars don't sell these days without pig fat tech and luxury added in. And the active sway bars, turbo engines, and rear steering make up for the extra weight.
Agree but also see 3 other aspects here:
1. Halo cars don’t make profit but generate brand excitement which sells the sensible stuff. Example Porsche (911, 718) AMG (GT).
2. The 8 is a challenging one bearing in mind I have an M8 on allocation. In my eyes it is a missed opportunity; not luxurious or plush enough to mix it up with Bentley or the S Class Coupe and not sporty enough to hit the AMG GTS, 911 Turbo, AM Vantage or AMR.
3. The M8 has some pretty neat characteristics that can mix it up with the best but no stand out features that give it a place in the hierarchy of greats.

As a BMW fan, I am aching as i know they have the ingredients to produce the best but somehow choose not to; why is that?
Appreciate 3
Ozzie8641.00
limeypride4425.00