Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
I like it, but at the price tag, it's a tough sell. The AMG GT is a better 'gentlemen's' track car. The engine is...the S63. Thé weight is obviously it's biggest downside.

As much as I want an M8 and love the design. The M6 was the correct price. The price jump for negligible performance and luxury gains? Why?
Suspect the looks and exclusivity will be enough for some. I was eyeing the fake M 8 series last week at the dealer. Videos and pics don't do the 8 justice, imo. It's exceptional looking.

Also, AMG GT as any form of track car, come on dawg.
Personally with modern suspension and braking weight is just not what t used to be in terms of making or breaking a track experience. The M5 brakes from 100 10 ft sooner than the Civic type R and the Miata and takes for Lateral G forces. Of course you'll be buying expensive pads way way more on the fat pig BMW than the other light weight cars.

Im gonna say both the AMG GT and the BMW M8 are competing for the gentleman drivers track day cars. luxurious, eye catching, and most importantly extremely easy to drive at the limit vs a 911 or Lamborghini which spin a lot easier. That's Flaschs vision of the M8 anyway.

If Caterham and Lotus were smart they would slide in to the market that BMW and friends left and make some 2500-3000 lbs $50-$100k cars.

I doubt the 'hardcore'M crowd wants or needs all the fancy traction controls and electronics that drive up the cost, and all the lux feautures that drive up weight.

But as far as BMW is concerned sports cars don't sell these days without pig fat tech and luxury added in. And the active sway bars, turbo engines, and rear steering make up for the extra weight.
Appreciate 0