Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
<soapbox>On the 'security' topic that I think is of professional interest to us both: the industry as a whole has embraced an 'assume breach' philosophy to help ensure that we also (although my subjective opinion is--> primarily) focus our attention on the assets, not the entry point. The edge isn't perceived as the primary (or worse, 'only') security boundary anymore as it's been for decades (firewalls/VPNs/IPsec/NLA/802.1x/etc.). Instead, identity and assets are now the focus. I apply that same philosophy that I helped design and bring to fruition in product form to my digitally-protected home rather than focus on preventing someone all-too-easily determining where my home is (with or without my car): asset vs. discovery + entry point. Net net: apologies for the kinda-mantra but I'm not with you on that one, dude!

// EDIT: there's a good (probably only subjectively 'good' for @bloozemanAZ and me but...) read on it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/secu...ess/zero-trust
</soapbox>
With you completely being the perimeter is swiss cheese and it is all about the endpoints. Have been driving a zero trust security model over the past 10 years in my corporate life for all of the IT assets involved. Throw in one of those endpoints is the human aspect and here comes the Phishing, social engineering, etc. education.

As for the home address in a Nav system, long sad story but an experience a good friend of mine had when he was out of town and his car stolen from an ORD parking lot changed my habits completely. The perpetrators guided home via the Nav as they figured "hey they are on a trip", usage of the home-link garage door opener built into the mirror to gain access and ultimately the discovery of his wife in the house enough said.
the home address in a Nav system, long sad story but an experience a good friend of mine had when he was out of town and his car stolen from an ORD parking lot changed my habits completely. The perpetrators guided home via the Nav as they figured "hey they are on a trip", usage of the home-link garage door opener built into the mirror to gain access and ultimately the discovery of his wife in the house enough said.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered about this. Not to be confrontational but can't they just open the glove box and find something like the registration with your address on it??

Maybe I'm the only one that keeps my insurance and Registration and car stuff in the unlocked glove box. Guess maybe keep it locked?
Appreciate 0