03-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #71
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
There was a whole section of the bridge that wasnt put up and i dont understand why. Literally should have been the first piece to go erect as it is what Distributes and holds the weight of the entire bridge.

See picture attachment below.

Looks to me like it was a construction error and not an engineering error.
I agree, nothing obviously wrong with the design, it's a single tower cable stayed bridge.....

The contractor/builder seems to have not understood that the first thing you build in such a design is the central tower/spine that the cables are hung from, as well as the end supports for the spans, the spans then grow, or installed from the tower outwards. The single tower has not even been built in the photos, so how people thing the cables were being tensioned or anything is beyond me as there is no tower there.
I bet that large span unit was never designed to be a simply supported span under self weight, and I'm astonished any work is being carried out over a live roadway with no installed crash deck or other temporary works safety installation in place