06-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Thanks for creating this thread--a nice idea and much appreciated.

I'm curious--and possibly asking you to speculate but... why is video recording an engagement with the police "not allowed"; I'd consider that a reasonable attempt at (albeit citizen-driven and optimistically more credible than words alone) oversight? Does "not allowed" translate to an offense in and of itself (within the jurisdictions you're most familiar with)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Thanks for creating this thread--a nice idea and much appreciated.

I'm curious--and possibly asking you to speculate but... why is video recording an engagement with the police "not allowed"; I'd consider that a reasonable attempt at (albeit citizen-driven and optimistically more credible than words alone) oversight? Does "not allowed" translate to an offense in and of itself (within the jurisdictions you're most familiar with)?
Sure thing, glad to help! And you caught me! I haven't done a case in DC in a decade and it shows!
I looked up some legal searches and found this article:
https://legaltimes.typepad.com/files...complaint1.pdf

That's why lawyers do many hours of live CLE (Continuing Legal Education) to keep up to date on the new laws.

So I stand corrected, you can record cops anywhere that is in a "public" space while visibly public from a non-private view.

Even I thought it was illegal in DC, but I was wrong. It's still not advisable but it can be done. Police can always say it's "interfering with their job" but that's a tougher argument these days.
Appreciate 3
limeypride4423.50
dds007411.00
BimBimM21486.00