The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Don’t think so...
Porsche makes it’s money with SUV’s just like anyone else on a larger scale. So, yes, they have no problems selling Cayennes, just like MB is selling their AMG SUV’s and likely BMW theirs.
As for Panameras, you are mistaken. Sales are very soft on this car and discounts easily equal BMW’s... They carry few of them and those don’t move.

The 911’s are a standout in non-SUV sales because they have a decades old following and it’s a great car that keeps on getting better.

The biggest reason I see for all these 8 series sitting around is BMW’s stupidity to load up their dealers with a lot of inventory of some of their most expensive cars.
MB on the other hand has been very careful of keeping their AMG inventory low and it pays off. One exception were the GT 4 door models. Guess what happened there...

As for Astons, they had been aggressively pushing low price leases on these cars. At one point in time you could get a Vantage for $1300 a month (low mileage though)
I think you missed the point I was making. People are more willing to pay the extra money for a Porsche even if it's an SUV over the BMW Or Mercedes counterpart which goes back to what I originally said - every manufacturer has a price point.

The 911 is a standout not because it has a following. If Porsche depended solely on it's 'following', the 911 would cease to exist in today's market. You buy a 911 because of the "experience". Nobody is buying a 911 as a family car and the majority of people don't have the money to just plop down on a car that's $100,000+ as a secondary car. The fact that Porsche is STILL pumping out cars like the GT3 should tell you something.

The biggest reason that 8 series are sitting on dealer lots is because BMW priced itself out of it's market and doesn't really offer anything special. Why would I get an M850? Because it has two doors? I'll just get an M550 and save myself thousands. M8 Competition? The M5 Comp is the exact same car with four doors. When you play in that price range, people want something special, something that stands out.

I can walk into ANY BMW dealer and get anywhere from 7% to 10% off ANY standard model. Same with any Audi or MB. Walk into a Porsche dealership and ask for that on a Panamera. They'll laugh at you on the way out.

Not sure why we're discussing Aston here because that's not even comparable to any of the brands discussed other than Porsche. COVID has caused a bit of trouble for Aston though. They were saved by an investment from a Dubai firm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 07-15-2020 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00