View Single Post
      10-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have a 2020 GLE 450 with the 48v system. In comfort mode, the engine shuts off as you coast to a stop; when you let go of the gas pedal after the stop, the electric motor/starter helps turn the engine back on and provides additional power as the car accelerates (it's pretty quick for a large heavy land-boat). In Eco mode, the engine will turn off completely as you coast along while moving (quite an odd experience the first couple of times). When you get back on the gas, even slightly, the motor comes back on.

There is a button next to the ignition button that you can press to disable the auto start/stop, if you like. Depending on the traffic situation, I will turn it off to keep the engine from starting/stopping/starting/stopping as you edge along in traffic, such as for a right turn on red with some vehicles ahead.

The system is pretty seamless and a far cry from my E90 M3's start/stop (which was always turned off). You can still feel it slightly with very minimal lag (so minimal that it's a non-issue to me).
Appreciate 1
Feddersen451.00