10-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
First of all cars are extremely expensive here in Denmark. The Mercedes GLC 300 starts at about 110.000 USD with no options. So I would like to keep it for 8-10 years or 120k-150k miles. I drive about 16 miles each way to and from work for about 200 days a year. My 335i N55 barely reaches optimal work temperature during those trips and the stop/start would normally be activated 15 times per trip. So I would basically have 15*2*200=6000 cold starts. Therefore I have disabled auto stop/start in my current car and that's why I am worried about any system that turns off/on the combustion engine.
It won't activate until oil temp is fully up. So you're grossly over estimating the usage. They are also generally disabled below 0 degrees and over 32 degrees. Since they're starting a warm engine with plenty of oil circulating with warm coolant from an electric water pump. I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.

But you're also discussing a mild hybrid, where the 48v setup and battery capacity will make restarts much smoother and provide you with some EV range. However your climate will likely decrease the effectiveness of that setup greatly. Stick with a regular internal combustion engine and disable the auto start stop if you'd like, but it's really not a valid concern.
Appreciate 1
Feddersen451.00