10-03-2017, 11:15 PM   #696
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Glad to have seen this thread. Like most of you, I started with a BMX bike and transitioned over to a mountain bike. Life got in a way and the MTB collected dust for about 10 years. When my daughter was 8 she asked me if she could start riding her bike to school. I said sure, but she had to wait until she turns 9. I promised I would teach her the rules of the road. Didn't really think she would remember. Boy I was wrong!

In April of this year she reminded me of my promise so off we go to a local bike shop. We got her a specialized mtb. Started taking her and the wife at a local bike trail 1 day (Saturday) a week; once became twice per week. Started talking more and more about bikes with friends and co workers. A couple of em invited me to a local Bike the Bridges event. Started putting miles on my mtb to prep for the event. Then I bought a endurance bike (cervelo C3) in June and rode the event, had a blast, and the rest is history.

To date, I'm averaging 75-100 miles per week. My wife now rides a road bike too (Bianchi via Nirone) and she's rides with me 2-3 times per week unless. I've lost approx 9 lbs so far and hoping to loose some more. I have gone up to 35 miles and hoping to ride a metric century by June 2018.

"I've caught a bug" as my coworkers tell me. All I talk about are bikes, bike routes, bike maintenance, and our next planned bike event. My wife even got several of her coworkers to pick up their old bikes and ride the local trails 1-2 days a week.

As for my daughter, she has yet to ride her new bike to school. Lol!
It is a bug. And once you catch it, there's no looking back. I'll be looking at a stationary stand for my bike for the winter and then I'll invest in a pure road bike (Trek Domane SLR, most likely) for next year. I'll keep my Crossrip 1 for the Rails-to-Trails runs since it has gravel tires on it. Or maybe it will become my permanent indoor machine.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Neuera09278.50