05-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
My fiancee's family has two Hybrids (First gen Civic and Accord) and I can't tell people this enough.
It's Rubbish.

Unless the commute is all city driving you'll be on the gas engine the whole time anyway, and any saveings you get from the akerman cycle engine will be counteracted by the weight of the hybrid system.

If you want to talk environment we could start with the manufacture and disposal of those batteries.

And as for driving quality, so far only the Ford Fusion has been noted as being anything like good. Hybrids have slippery low rolling friction tires, and excessive weight issues due to the hybrid system.

If you are going to look at a hybrid I'd say check out the Fusion because it seems to be getting ok reviews, But there are a lot of conventional cars that will provide good efficiency without being overly complicated.

Your posts are generally more informed than this. The batteries are nearly 100% recycled, and the dealers pay you to bring them back. Current hybrids use standard tires, just like every other economy car. What non-hybrid vehicle with the interior volume of a Prius will come anywhere close to 45MPG average?

As for reliability, they're one of the most relieable vehicles on the road today, with near ZERO battery replacements under warranty (or out for that matter), and also enjoy a very good resale value.
Appreciate 0