View Single Post
      12-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #20
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Maybe we should ask the ~1 million people with out electricity during the winter storm
Having been one of them up until a few hours ago, I have to agree with this. Sure, power outages are going to happen no matter what. But as a rural dweller I can tell you with absolute certainty that the wired infrastructure has gone straight into the toilet. It started with the big deregulation push in the Reagan years, when all the power companies were cut loose and stopped spending on maintenance. It's been the bare minimum since then. We essentially could not continue to live where we do without a reliable backup energy source. I keep hearing about infrastructure spending, but I sure don't see it around these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
My wife and I are looking at making some changes to our home heating, has nothing to do with being green, it has to do with money and reliability. There are lots of factors that go into the decision making, and if the product is good the market will drive the change. The governments desire to force things makes no sense other than ego, they think they know best after demonstrating time and again they are incapable of accomplishing much of anything.
I remember when government mandated emissions controls on cars were first introduced. Cars got pretty crappy. People pissed and moaned. Then some smart folks in Japan started building efficient, clean running engines. The US companies continued to drag their feet and piss and moan and look for ways around it, and suffered in the marketplace for it. Fast forward to today, when we drive 500HP Corvettes that will get 30+ highway MPG and pollute less than a 1960's lawnmower. Moral: progress happens. Efficiency improves. The market responds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
It's an evolving technology. When the cost comes down and I feel comfortable with it to know the transportation world will not suddlenly change directions maybe then I will buy one. But for the Fed Gov't to mandate it, that is a giant pile of Bull Dung.
I'm not crazy about the big push towards EVs. I don't think they're all that great of a choice for a large part of America, and I definitely don't think the electrical grid in this country will support them. Will it support them by 2035? Who knows. That's a ways off. Like you, I can see where an EV would fit into my life but I'm not prepared to jump in just yet. Too many changes happening too quickly for me to drop big $ into an EV just yet.
Quote:
Lets enjoy the holiday with the ones we care about.
Let's do.
Appreciate 7