View Single Post
      01-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
pure common sense baffles me why people put so much value on Supras... the F and F movie franchise is all i can think of...

The supra turbo of that gen was not that great of a handler, was quite heavy, had a very laggy stock turbo and some could argue didn't even look that great. The other problem being that everyone now builds turbo motors that are significantly better and more modern (BMW to name one company). No one even cared about Supras until the movies and they weren't modded by anyone to run below 12 seconds in the 1/4 until mid 2000s lol. The current GTR can also run 6 seconds in the 1/4 w the proper mods and can be had for 50K all day for the car. BMW has incredible M cars now that are significantly more luxurious and can also be modded to be quick, as can plenty AMGs... it even shows Toyota can no longer create magic as they needed to borrow the most important components for the new car from BMW.
I timed my MKIV Supra purchase perfectly back in the day. I purchased my 94 TT in arctic silver metallic, 6MT with the the targa roof in late 2000. I had always loved the car, and coming from two prior MR2 Turbos it was the logical step up so I bought my dream car at the time in November of 2000.

People sorta liked the car, but once TFATF came out, I became a rock star almost overnight. I couldn't go anywhere without being hounded, tailed, hooted at while driving, etc. It was nuts, completely nuts.

I only kept it for around 18 months though, the allure of the quick cashout once values seemingly sky rocketed over night was just too much for me to ignore. It helped pay for law school that's for sure!

Since then, the only car I've owned which compares to it is the M4 I have currently. The M4 reminds me a lot of the Supra, but stock vs. stock the M4 is of course a superior machine. Can't really explain it, but I do like driving the M4 far more than I ever did the Supra as well. That Getrag transmission in the Supra was such a pain in the ass, I never liked it much. I really, really miss the targa though, the turbo noises, and the huge FMIC I had on it which unfortunately the M4 will never have.
Appreciate 0