Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
the m850i has a roll bar in the convertible and our local track will accept it. it's an auto pop up roll bar, and it's acceptable to the SCCA, PCA, SVRA, and HSR.
Thanks again to everyone that replied.

I never thought about that pop-up bar, I guess that does qualify for some clubs. Not sure about the BMW CCA. They tend to disqualify convertibles, period. Me personally, I've seen a few cars go turtle on the track and I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable doing it.

As a final update, the dealer came back to me at the end of May with another few thousand off the price, which brought the lease payment (nothing down) to $933 IIRC. Pretty darn awesome. But I had already decided on another car.

We went another way. I was really surprised that the wife liked it, and the response from most of my friends has also been very positive, again surprising me.

It's a Ford. Mustang GT. Six speed manual (one of my criteria) and no options, the way I like them. That does best in resale %. I trade cars frequently. This thing cost about 1/4 of what the M850i does. It's not the car the BMW is, obviously, but bang-for-buck it's hard to beat. Except of course, for the image of the typical Mustang driver. You know, the guy who does a burnout after cars & coffee and spins out into the crowd.
great car and great price! Enjoy it Fix Or Repair Daily, or Found Onside Road Dead. haha, just kidding.

Definitely a better call for tracks at the lower price and hardtop. My neighbor has a red Mistang that literally blew the doors off my m850i. I don't know what he's got but it must be close to 700 hp in his Ford.

of course, his isn't a convertible, nor does it have AWD or anything else. but for pure speed, from 30 mph to 155 mph - he blew past me like I was standing still.
I'd love to find out if he can beat launch mode 0 to 60 though.
Appreciate 0