View Single Post
      04-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #81
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Going to test drive the Hyundai DCT and ACC tomorrow...
So dealer was able to find a Kona with the 1.6 turbo and DCT drivetrain. That was definitely a nice drivetrain, smooth, etc. Compared back to back with a Elantra GT base (all they have in the Elantra). The difference between the 1.6T DCT and 2.0 NA with auto was huge. Lots more vibration from the 2.0, rough feeling, shifts not anywhere near as smooth, etc. I wouldn't say the 1.6T was quite as smooth as my BMW...but it's close. Transmission smoother though. The 2.0 on the other hand can't be compared. DCT doesn't lurch forward as much as auto. The ACC on the Kona didn't seem to be the same as what would come on the GT N-line. It kicks off at around 5mph and it was my understanding that the N-line actually has a stop-n-go function where if the car ahead stops for 3 seconds or less, it will resume. The one thing that wasn't as bad as other cars was that when it did pop off, it didn't lurch forward nearly as bad as others (due to the DCT not rolling as fast at idle compared to an auto trans). The last thing you want when approaching a vehicle coming to a stop is to accelerate into them. Otherwise the ACC was exactly what I expected, it has to "lock onto" a moving car ahead, shows a car picture when it does, etc. HUD in the Kona was crappy, not even on the window, but in front of it. All in all, I think putting that drivetrain into the Elantra would be a winner. All of the N-line improvements turn it into a liveable car in terms of tech and niceties and that drivetrain would be a great fit.

The bad news though is that my state can't "order" any Hyundais. Not because of COVID or any shut downs, but in general Hyundai considers this state to be another country and they don't allow for any ordering of cars with specific configurations. This really sucks. I gave my number to the salesperson and said to call me if they find one somehow...but he was pretty bummed about it too and it doesn't look very hopeful.

So that kind of puts me back to square one. I think the GTI/R is just a hair too small. I'll definitely be sizing it out though soon. This possibly brings me to something like a Q3/5 X2 or something. I really didn't want to go down the SUV road, but these appear to be possible to get with for a decent price. If a used stinger comes along again (there was one recently...maybe should have jumped on it) or A5 sportback with the right features, those would be contenders. Even an A4 allroad and then lower it, but all of these are fairly long-shots...The GTI/R would work if big enough, but it just seems a little too short and the Sportwagen 1.8 can't get ACC, in fact it's stripped.