10-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #29
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Dude, it's not even close.

Don't confuse weight distribution with engine placement. While one affects the other, it's not as simple as you make it out to be. You can have weight at the extremes, forward or aft, and balance it out with more weight at the other extreme, achieving "perfect" or "optimal" weight distribution as far as % for and aft, but that doesn't mean good handling, because your polar moments are so extreme when the car starts rotating, it won't stop. Your claim that the car is "more mid-engined" is ridiculous, no, it's a rear-engine, it always has been, it's clearly shown in the picture. If they are doing what they can to make the weight distribution decent so there's enough weight on the front tires, great, but it doesn't make it "more mid-engined". The entire premise of that is contrary to the layout of the car.
I am not confusing the two - just making reference to how the C8 is. Yes I am purposely being very simple about it. I do think when 991 was introduced the shift of moving the entire engine forward 1 inch was meaningful and the leap from 997 to 991 was pretty drastic. Granted the 991 and 992 are really just Grand Tourers. I never said the 911 was a Cayman or Boxster, bc that it isn’t. I hope it never ends up that way bc love the rear engines platform and drive. It clearly has a winning pedigree. Should they go to a true mid engine platform like the 911 RSR that won WEC I don’t see why you’d even make a cayman anymore. What they need is a true halo car above the 2RS which is a high HP mid-engined car like the CGT or 918.

If I remember it, the C8 is more rear biased due to the gearbox. I spent a lot of time in my friends C7 Z and I think people tend to forget that the C7 was a front mid car that was a good chassis, even if the Z was a handful when pushing to 8/9/10/10ths.

That all said, it appears that despite stickier tires, ~15% more hp, ~25% more torque, the C8 is slower than an 992S in a straight and by good margin on track. Beyond that, it’s sounds like it’s not as balanced on handling and has issues with its braking. To me, anyone can make a fast car - there are tons of examples of that. But to have a car that is dialed in from every angle, every measurement and movement is where the 911 separates itself by large margin from other cars that are fast.

Last edited by Funf6cyl; 10-27-2019 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0