08-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8you View Post
Don't really have a benchmark tbh. All the cars we own are luxury cars, it just wasn't as fast as I expected. I'm pretty sure I'll be content with the M8 comp as it's the fastest in the BMW lineup. If it starts getting old to me I'll probably get a tune or just upgrade further
Considering most luxury cars are from a zero to 60 point of view in the 5 second class with some exceptions into the 4 second zone the M850i is considerably faster. I had initially set the speed warning on my 2020 M850i to 84 MPH as 85 MPH is the trigger for criminal speeding on even our rural highways with a PSL of 75 MPH. Off of the highways criminal speeding comes into play at 20 MPH over the PSL.

Needless to say the 84 MPH alert became a ridiculous annoyance so I upped it to 95 MPH. Even then it is triggered in almost a blink of the eye when stepping on the gas in the M850i. In fact last Wednesday when I was driving home from an appointment on one of our intercity freeways (PSL is 65) I stepped on the gas to pass a bunch of slow moving cars. My brain registered the the speed limit warning "gong" from iDrive at 95 MPH but by the time I looked at my speed in the HUD it was 110 MPH.

Throw a M8C or M8C GC into the same scenario and it just adds insult to injury. In other words if a M8C in either variant is not fast enough you'll need to look elsewhere, e.g., a Turbo S but in doing so you'll lose the GT aspect of the 8-series.
Appreciate 1
i8you5.00