10-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders17283 View Post
I will monitor for this and report back to this thread.

Question: while your Gen2 was on the BlendMount, did you experience laser issues from the gesture control sensors?
I do just like I did with Gen1. However, there are many threads on how folks have dealt with it. Just turning off gesture controls in iDrive does not turn off the camera (just rather iDrive taking action) so that's a no go. The only remedy is to tape over the gesture controls camera which will absolutely solve the problem. That solution would be a non-starter for me as I like the gesture controls and use the volume/mute/skip track often along with the hand wave to ignore calls and the occasional fist to have the car navigate home when I'm in an unfamiliar part of town.

For me with the Gen1 I just disabled Laser as it is not prevalent in my area and the experts all feel without laser jammers, e.g., ALP, TMG, etc. you'll likely end up with a ticket anyway as by the time the detector will alert it's too late. However, with the Gen2 you can individually disable the rear laser sensor which works perfectly to deal with the gesture controls and still offer whatever protection possible from the front sensor. This can be done via hard programming (instructions on the V1 site) or via a JBV1 profile.

Lastly there must be enough difference between the convertible mirror mount (I'm assuming it is lower) than the coupe so the V1 Gen2 in the BlendMount is immune to the front Laser sensor falsing from the iDrive screen's sensor. For convertible owners the only solution is likely what Ozzie8 did in the way of a windshield mount.
Appreciate 1