Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Nope. I'd rather take it to a mechanic, not a kid with a shop manual. The only time I go back to the dealer is for recalls or warranty work.
I have never, in over 40 years of car ownership, had a "kid with a shop manual" at a dealership. But I have had plenty of screwed up "mechanics" at independents.

Quote:
And I know more than any sales guy. Just five minutes on here qualifies you for that.
I bought my first BMW in January of 2019. I did a tone of research online, but my salesman was an expert on BMWs and educated me well.

Quote:
I also don't like test driving green cars. You're either thrashing someone else's next car or babying something that won't ever be driven that way. I'd much rather go to CarMax and scare their poor sales people.
So those are the only two options?

Quote:
In my experience, very few dealers want to do the maintenance in the manual. They want to do about 3.6x that level of work and replace every filter at every visit. A good mechanic will do what's in the book and advise of any potential problems, not rebuild the car annually just to try to milk the unsuspecting.
In your first paragraph you wrote that a "manual" being used is negative. A little in-congruent, isn't that?
Do you work at a dealer?

There's a manual for recommended service and then there's a manual for doing any repair that you choose, regardless of if it's needed. Same word, different context.

And yeah, being able to drive a car the way you will drive it when you own it isn't really feasible with a new car. I'm just not going to redline a car or hammer the brakes when it's new. That's not the dealers fault, it's just a "service" that people cite that doesn't actually provide any value to me.
Appreciate 0