06-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #21
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
I test drove the S3 and Golf R and I think Golf R is def the better deal overall. If you prefer stick shift, then the Golf R is a no brainer in the US.

What's a reasonable discount on a GTI Sport (current MSRP is $27,950)?
When i was shopping for a daily for my wife, the VW dealer didn't want to play ball and I was constrained with time, so I ended up not getting anything from them.
It looks like they are being advertised ~$5K off. That said I am not seriously in the market for one so didn't dig into how much of that was discount, incentive, conquest, loyalty etc. Just doing some homework in case I want to get one to drive in crap weather.

Don't get me wrong the S3 has a lot going for it it but I think the R is the smarter buy and a more versatile vehicle w/ the hatch. Then once that decision is made it's really is it worth the premium over the GTI.

You could make the argument that yes it is, AWD vs FWD and will hold it's value better, but that's a theoretical buy it and hold it for 5 years what is each worth kind of argument. Just today, day one, the R costs quite a bit more.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1878.50