View Single Post
      02-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's true, yes. But if we break down range anxiety, it results from three major concerns:

a) How far can I go until i have to recharge?
b) Where can I recharge?
c) How long will it take to recharge?

For the vast majority, factors (b) and (c) are going to be the biggest contributors to anxiety. Once those questions are answered to someone's satisfaction (a) is largely inconsequential because it is then matter of convenience rather than the ability to actually make it to the destination in a timely fashion. It's why if I blow through a tank of gas in 200 miles in an ICE vehicle driving through the countryside like I stole the car, I don't care. I know I can just refuel it almost anywhere, and very quickly.

So then, as long as range is not ridiculously low, not hitting the advertised range in an EV is ultimately not where the biggest point of friction is. The charging time is really the issue for most people. Finding a charger is also an issue but even when chargers become ubiquitous, the time to charge remains a significant barrier. And it is a barrier that can only be cleared by technological advancements that, so far, have been elusive.
Ok, so range anxiety and recharge anxiety. The video of the Porsche Taycan drag times is interesting, from 20% to 100% charge at a fast charge station takes 53 minutes. If I have to worry about where a charge station is and how many other cars might be lined up when I get there I'm not interested. And I suspect that is a main factor that is stopping people from making the switch. The transition will come, but until these factors are addressed EV's will not become mainstream, faster in urban centres where folks have shorter distances to drive and the ability to charge overnight at home.
Appreciate 0