12-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTN View Post
Not any more meant as an insult, as you basically calling everyone driving something other than a manual M car a "roundelhound", or trying to say the other poster just doesn't have an understanding what a manual transmission provides, unlike you.

The way you were putting things just came off wrong in my book, but let's disregard that, I guess it could just be your style, I don't know you, and since we're on a forum I don't have the context of how it would actually come off if you've said it out loud.

On the driving control aspect, I'd think if precise control would only be possible with manual transmissions, professional motorsport racing would be using manuals exclusively.

I've only owned manual cars so far, so I get what you say you prefer about them. I'm just saying objectively looking at things nowadays, automatics are faster at shifts, better at fuel economy, and can be more comfortable if that tickles your fancy.

And again, if what you value most and what you look for in your car is the control and engagement (please don't pick on this poor word again) that you feel only a manual is able to provide, that's perfectly well and understandable.

In this regard, and to you, a manual will be superior "till the end of times". But that doesn't make them objectively outright the suprerior choice overall. And so it also doesn't mean anyone who drives an automatic couldn't be just as much an enthusiast as you, or that a 3-series with an automatic transmission "is not a proper 3-series", or BMW in general.
I define a Roundelhead as a person who buys a BMW only for the status of the badge on the hood and has no idea of the heritage that goes with it; not that they drive an automatic. And yes, to me, if the 3-series does not include a manual transmission as an available option, then to me it is not a proper 3-series. For example, about 35 years ago Ford was going to introduce a new Mustang. It was a front-wheel drive euro-styled coupe offered only with a 4 cylinder. The Mustang purists raised holy hell and Ford ended up releasing the new car as the Probe. Better, Ford kept the rear-drive V8 powered Mustang alive based on the total uproar the prospective new Mustang-Probe wrought. A great example of a car company listening to its customer base.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0