Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
The original plan, as I read a few years ago, was for the 8 and X8 to be a new bmw 'ultra' luxury line. Like the original 8 series they wanted it to compete with Ferrari. This would even have a black badge to differentiate it from the rest of the line up.

Also, I am stating this correctly so don't freak out: the 6 series was originally based on the 7 series. The 8 series is based on the 5 series so there is a historic reason to change names.

Imo, the new 8 doesn't quite do enough to be 'ultra luxury'. It's my favorite bmw but I'm not sure it commands a price above 6 series pricing. Hardly seems better than the new 3 luxury wise.
I heard the X8 is suppose to be a stand-alone M product and not a M-Derived base BMW. And I agree the 8 didn't live up to the hype. If the 6 name moniker was kept, it would've been acceptable.
If they'd drop the V12 in there I'd think we all would accept it over night
I'm surprised they didn't because the 7 series still gets the V12. I know it's probably a stretch but maybe Alpina will put it in their version (although they're known for massaging the already existing engine).