11-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #56
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
A wind deflector eliminates the ability to seat rear passengers in all 4-seat verts. By their very design, the deflector needs to be directly behind the front seat passengers. The problem with BMW's design (and all other manufacturers except Porsche) is that the wind deflector blocks the rear seats even when it's not deployed. To use the rear seats, you've got to manually remove the deflector and store it in the trunk. Porsche's design is brilliant as the wind deflector is electrically deployed from behind the rear seats. It retracts back behind the seats when it's not being used so that the rear seats can be used. (see at 1:40 here).
I am surprised at the manual wind deflector, too. Porsche and Mercedes have electric pop up systems, and even BMW's own outgoing 6-Series had the clever rear window I assumed would carry forward. The new Z and 8 should have had electric deflectors, too.

I think the car looks gorgeous. My only other gripe besides the wind deflector is BMW needs to offer some "wow" factor with the interior -- galvanize the interior buttons and offer some more colorful, contrasting combinations. I'm sure it's well made and the materials are top notch, but visually the S-class convertible just poops all over it.
Appreciate 1