01-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #194
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Nothing against your opinion, but you are trying to compare the safety of standard typical consumer based vehicles (most of which are steel frame and steel paneled), against the safety of a supercar designed for speed and agility. Enzo, Aventador, etc, are all carbon fiber unibody structured, does that mean it is a huge slap in the face to Ferrari and Lamborghini alike?

The cars are most likely deweighted by not adding all the extra safety assessments that typical vehicles do have, for what I would assume are performance gains for, dare I say, track purposes. It may have front and side airbags, but it is still built on a carbon fiber chassis, you can't expect things to end well in a 100mph collision with...., anything. It will end bad, what do you want Porsche to do, build a steel cage around the reduced weight chassis, to "protect" the driver? There is a reason these high end cars seem to have "cheap" or "lacking" safety systems. They aren't bought as safe vehicles, they are bought as enthusiast vehicles.
Pretty much...

Even limited production cars have to be crash certified. But no crash testing is done at speeds anywhere near 100mph.

The assumption that other cars would have fared better is baseless.

Didn't Lady Di meet her demise in an S-Class, one of the safest cars you can find? But again, it was high speed(though I cannot remember, they might have not been wearing seatbelts which undermines my point lol).

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0