11-27-2023, 02:46 PM   #75
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
As far as I noticed, Volvo was going nowhere until the XC90 which emerged as a favorite among 30-something moms. Good looking car.

Always seemed like a quality brand when I was a kid but these days no chance I’d buy anything associated with Geely.
China bashing is a popular trend these days but Volvo Executive Erik Severinson said "We have a lot of freedom as a brand to develop our own products" and Volvo and Geely will cooperate only “where it makes sense.” So the heart and soul of Volvo remains with Volvo.

According to Ward's Auto: "More than a decade later, Chinese ownership has helped change Volvo from a money-losing albatross to a trend-setting electric-vehicle manufacturer." Indeed, Volvo Cars just reported its 14th consecutive month of growth as global sales, so not only are they still in business but they're doing better than the good old days before Geely that some reminisce fondly about.

As for concerns regarding reliability, according to the 2023 US Vehicle Dependability Study, Volvo ranks ahead of VW, Mercedes and Audi, and also Tata (India) owned Jaguar and Land Rover too. Just saying.

And speaking of VW, brand chief Thomas Schaefer recently warned Volkswagen’s original brand [VW] is “no longer competitive” and is planning big layoffs. Maybe this thread title should be renamed 'How is VW possibly still in business?' and they should sell to Geely to get back in shape.
Appreciate 4