02-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #72
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Has anyone ever been hit backing out? I'm 45, driven seven figures of miles and can't really even think of a close call. I will not waste other's time with this stupid practice. Unless you're driving a 28 foot long pickup, this is silly.
I have - that was actually the first accident I ever had that involved insurance (since the other party was in a government car, I couldn't say "you pay for yours, I'll pay for mine" and walk away) ... though, to be fair, "I hit him" harder than "he hit me" (thanks to my lead-footed driving).

I backed out at the same time that the car on the opposite side of the road did. We didn't see each other and collided at the center of the road.

Both his car and mine got new rear quarter panels, rear bumpers and boot lids as a result. As an added bonus, we both got to pay the insurance excess since it was classed as a 'both at fault' accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I'd never back into a garage as I'd prefer to have my exhaust outlets facing outside instead of shooting exhaust at the doorway into my home.
You make a very good point... I'll stop silently judging people who park in their garages forward from now on
Appreciate 2