12-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #44
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Are people really under the false belief that Winter category tires perform well in dry conditions? They simply do not. The sipes and soft compound makes for a dry conditions handling sacrifice I'm not willing to make. UHPAS category tires far outperform Winter tires in the dry. Even saying that, UHPAS feels like my car took off its track shoes for work boots when I swap out my summer rubber.

Winter tires are clearly the best option for snowy conditions, but I simply don't drive in snow often enough to warrant the sacrifice. I suspect that's the case for most people.
No that is false. You keep thinking that what is on the surface is all that matters. It's not!

I agree if you want to run UHPAS all year that is an option as they aim to perform better in winter conditions, but they are still not the best choice.

And in your case, you already have summer tires. Going with UHPAS for your colder/winter times make zero sense as based on North Jersey temperature graphs, you could run your winters from November to April, the temps hits 7c or below + you get some snow.

I've been driving on some Nokian hakkapeliitta and I can still hit my exit curve at 130km/h and the hanlding is stable.

Like I said, I agree above 7c winter tires "melt" their threads. But under those temps, it's perfectly acceptable and is the best option to run a winter tire even without to much snow.
Appreciate 2
10"4974.50