02-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #13
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I seriously doubt they would bother making a 1 coupe more potent than the 135i. Few would pay what BMW would have to charge for a proper ///M version of the 1'er...they would rather sell M3's which already have a strong following and customer base. It would be an awsome car Im sure, but from a business standpoint I can see it's futileness (is that a real word?:iono

Look at the M coupe...they cant give those things away and the 1er looks even less like a "sports car"
yeah but the M3 now weighs 3500 lbs (which is admittedly very good for what it is) and sports a V8. a large portion of the people in that strong following and customer base you mentioned didnt sign on for either one of those. a lot of us want a practical (seats 4 when necessary, has a trunk), rwd, small, lightweight, excellent driving dynamics, decent but fun power, (would it be too audacious for me to say more fuel efficient?)... a true 2002 or even E30 M3 reincarnation.

i think the main problem with cost is that you get up into cayman/S territory quickly, and that is stiff competition, particularly for the people in the ///Market. but the more i think about it, i cant deal without a back seat or proper trunk and would be willing to spend comparable money on a decently prepared 1 series. i just want it lighter, still reasonably priced, and would rather deal with a smaller, more bipolar engine (conservative at the bottom, evil at the top) to meet those goals.
Appreciate 0