View Single Post
      11-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #50
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
While I agree that the demographic in here being late 20's and early 30 year old's, I still think mattresses are overpriced. My parents let me have their 2 year old mattress that they got for around $4k back in the day as a reward for when I got my 1st engineering job. Since then I have moved to a $800 quilted memory foam mattress and I sleep better than I ever have. After going from my dorm room bed, to my $300 sears pillowtop, to the $4k mattress, I felt like I would always invest on what I sleep on. I then got a purple mattress for my guest room when they first started up and since then I have questioned my reasoning.

You absolutely do not have to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a mattress to get quality sleep. You are paying for the name at the end of the day. Will a $5k mattress be better than a $400 mattress, 9.5/10 times yes it will. But is a $5k mattress the best thing out there, I think not. Personally if im spending 5k on a mattress, it better cook my breakfast and potentially do my taxes as well.
This was my take until I did OCD amounts of research. The materials used between a $400 and a $5000 mattress are not the same. For example the memory foam is rated by density, . 3.0lb/pcf or less is low quality; 4.0lb/pcf is a medium quality; and 5.0lb/pcf or higher is very high quality. They may feel the same for awhile but the materials in the lower density foams break down over time and will not last as long. Same goes for coil systems, the Bonnel coil is just simple, hourglass-shaped springs tied together, mostly used for cheap mattresses. Pocketed and alternative coils use a high gauge (or thickness) and use more of them to support the layers and your weight. Also take into consideration preference feel, your parents 4k bed might not be what you were looking for as far as comfort or support. That's why going into a store is important, what one person likes another will hate regardless of the price.

I will agree however that a lot of the big named brands are not very transparent on the materials they use. So in a sense you are right. But not all of them. Stearns and Foster were really bad about that for years and their quality went down hill with cheap materials. Two years ago Tempurpedic bought them out and now they are now disclosing high quality materials. I also agree Purple is a good bed, but it is not in the cheap category. The base starts at $1000 for a queen and the new Purple 3 is $2300. Definitely not in the $400 category. A great website for research is the mattress underground, it's a public forum filled with OCD fools like me trying not to get ripped off.
Appreciate 0