Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Pros: You get a nicer car.
Cons: It costs more.

Cars are a luxury item. There's no point working 40+ hours a week not to enjoy some of the spoils of wealth; but it's downright stupid to put yourself in the position where you're choosing to maintain your car or maintain your mortgage / rent.

Some assets are worth taking the risk of putting yourself 'upside down' so you can be part of the 'upside potential' ... but cars aren't one of them.

Pro Tip #1: You can have the same amount of fun - if not more fun - in a $5,000 car than in a $50,000 car.

Pro Tip #2: If you think *this* nice car is worth over-extending yourself for because it'll cure your car-envy, check out the "What did you drive before your BMW" thread. ..
There are just as many Porsche drivers wishing they could afford a Ferrari as there are 135i owners wishing they could afford an //M.

Sorry, that came off a bit preachy - especially from a fellow BMW owner. I love my BMW, I love the way it feels seeing people look back at my little black convertible as I drive by; but it took less than 6 months before I was wishing I'd saved up and got a E92 M3. It's nice to have nice things, but *MUCH NICER* not having to work a second job to maintain your lifestyle.
agree with this, yes I love my new M-ish car and it helps with the monotony of commuting but I can't argue that the amount of the car payment could be useful elsewhere at this point in my life.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00