04-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #43
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
However, even after reviewing, I still am a little confused. I know you replaced a number of trim items (mirrors, grill, rear diffuser, etc). Did you also replace the window trim? When your car arrived from the factory, was the trim around the windows shadow line, cerium, or chrome?
The entire reason I just did not walk away from the car was indeed with cerium the window trim is Shadowline. This makes sense as otherwise chrome window trim would clash. So that is why I told my CA if they could eradicate the cerium with full Shadowline I'd take it. He said he thought the parts were just released and the eradication program ensued.

Quote:

Next question - are you saying that you can still order 850 with shadow line by just ordering the default cerium 20" wheels (without ordering the "cooling package")? That's the point my dealer couldn't work out. He kept getting "chrome line" package on any build unless he did the cooling package (or black wheels).

As an aside - the configurator allows you to build an 850 with the default 20" cerium and shadow line, but if you change the wheels it goes to chrome line trim, and then it will not allow you to change it back even if you re-select the 20" cerium wheels. very strange.
I just built a 2020 M850i to my specs with the default cerium 20" wheels and indeed the resulting picture is Shadowline for the window trim but the side kidneys, grill, mirror caps and tail pipes are all cerium which can be verified by going into the 3D view mode of the exterior picture.

If I add the 20" black 728M with run flats (1N1) the trim stays the same. If I then switch to the 20" black 728M with non-run flats then the configurator forces the addition of the cooling package and the trim indeed becomes full Shadowline (grill, kidneys, etc.) if I switched back to the 1N1's it would notify it was dropping the cooling package and then render with cerium for the grill, kidneys, etc.

So the mystery is whether the configurator is broken or the pricing guide is guide is incorrect. Granted the pricing guide language is different for the 1N1 vs the 1N7 (my rim of choice as I originally wanted Chromeline on my build). For 1N1 it states "1N1 requires ordering ZM9" and ZM9 is Shadowline. In contrast for 1N7 it states "1N7 will add 346 to the order" and 346 is Chromeline. I honestly missed this difference back when I originally posted #11 on the thread.

Well, here is the conundrum, i.e., ZM9 and 346 are no longer individual options like they were on the 2019s. When I originally built dozens of versions of a 2019 M850i Coupe going through various exterior and interior choices I could select either trim accordingly, i.e., Chromeline and the 1N7 wheels or Shadowline and the 1N1 wheels. It would not allow you to select Shadowline with the 1N7 whatsoever but never tried the reverse as black wheels with Chromeline would not make sense.

So here we are with the 2020 models without the actual 346 or ZM9 as individually electable options. Rather everything now ties to the wheels of choice. It appears to me BMW has another SNAFU on their hands similar to the original 2020 issue with the ZDX vs ZDA driving assistance packages on the configurator. For the 1N1 wheels how do you add ZM9 as required when it is not an electable option? If you chose to take the cooling package (ZTK) but wanted runflats in the way of 1N1 vs 1N0 you cannot do that either.

A conspiracy theorist would likely state BMW has made Shadowline non-achievable on a 2020 M850i/M850iGC without the up sell of the cooling package. Or in my case taking the default cerium wheels and utilizing their OEM M Performance parts. Either way driving up the cost. Considering to this date (I just checked) none of the parts for my cerium eradication program are listed in their online catalog I have no clue to the cost (they were all $0 on my invoice) nor will any other perspective buyer. So how does one compare the difference if interested in Shadowline but not tracking the car in which the cooling package would be the no brainer?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0