View Single Post
      11-09-2023, 08:15 AM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
X-ices are nowhere close to as good as Nokians, Blizzaks, and several others.
Virtually every test I have read has the X-ICE within a bees dick of the Blizzack in all but the heaviest of weather. On ploughed, urban roads the X-ICE is the better tyre, handles better, less noise, less wear etc. The nokian is the more dedicated tyre and doesn't play in the same space as the other two, it's also wildly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I've lived in both TO and Montreal and actually the snowfall is quite similar (purely anecdotal) and I would say since I drive a Z4, the ground clearance is lousy, so I definitely need the roads to be shovelled or at least not too deep. I haven't encountered much ice (knock wood), so my drives are in such snow conditions. I'm not really concerned about road noise, my main consideration is traction and then longevity. However...

...I obviously dunno much about the brands being suggested, but as an analogy, re my summer choice, I ran Michelin PSSs for the longest time but even though they were touted as the best road performance tire, I didn't get the most outta them since I don't go crazy on public roads. Factor in the huge price premium and that they wear out relatively quickly, I'm very happy w my Firestone Indy 500s. So, if there's a winter brand A that is just marginally better but costs way more than brand B, I'd probably go for B.
Urban driving = X-ICE IMHO.
Appreciate 3
kyriian886.00
chris7197353.00