02-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Car Wow was wrong on the weight of the cars.

Not only is the M8c a bit lighter than the M5c but in this case there should be an additional 80lbs or so less on the M8c due to CCB's.

That said, BMW states a .1sec 0-60 difference (3.0 vs 3.1) for the M8c.

Given the small gap I assume that the engine/ECU tuning is the same and the difference is solely in weight/CW value.

There could be some improved launch software but wouldn't that be in the 20 M5 as well?
My guess is that it comes down to weight as well if the M8C doesn't have a more aggressive tune as at least a few suspect given it helps justify the cost differential. Money being no factor into the equation I'd take a M8C over a M5C any day of the week from a pure aesthetics point of view. That said I thought it may be a factor, i.e., drag coefficient (and called out by Matt in the video). However, I just wasted a hour trying to find a trusted source with the specs on both cars. Best I could do on the M8C was Car and Driver and they stated .33. For the M5C ended up with a European car spec website that also claimed .33.

It seems mind boggling to me that the M8C with a total height of 53.6 inches has the same drag coefficient of the M5C at a total height of 58 inches. The roughly 4 inches in height differential should allow more air over the top of the M8C than the M5C. The .33 drag coefficient assigned to both just doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0