08-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #249
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
I have looked in the interwebs and still can't find what fuel is better than others with actual DATA. It can vary slightly from Exxon to Exxon (shell to Shell), definitely state to state. I have heard the same old tired story of "it all comes from the same depo/refinery so it's all the same" BS. There are a lot of refineries around the US and each brand has their own additives they request to be in the "same fuel from the refinery" which does a number of things from cleaning, octane improvers, mileage (ethanol), lubrication, stabilizers, and a lot of others. There is North and South blended fuel for climate and ACN91. It's all confusing. Shell, Chevron, Exxon/Mobil, Sinclair, and Costco are commonly known as the top five. But some Cosco doesn't have 93. One of the big surprises this year was that BP FELL OUT of TT. IF your car has a flash tune in it, E10 is what you want.

Surprisingly Ohio, Nebraska, and Alaska do not have state testing for fuel. Kentucky was one in the past and it was a dumping ground near the borders for fuel from neighboring states that did not make the grade.

I have been a long time user of Shell because it makes a difference and others say the same. Shell is widely known as the best fuel but there are others that were just about as good.

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/
Nor will you ever find it because the information is proprietary. However there are differences between top-tier vs federal minimum and differences in octane. Higher octane gets more additive. Top tier gets more additive across the board.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0