06-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #31
F10-M5
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-M5 View Post
Why is the 8 series being compared to the S class when it is really in the E-coupe class category?
I think that 8-series is the new 6 and I am not quite sure what BMW are doing with their naming?!
perhaps you have not been keeping up with BMW... as opposed to the other way around.

BMW has killed the 6 series coupe and gran coupe.

the 6 series currently is a 5 door hatchback... er " GT"

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/6-se...n-turismo.html

the 6er as you knew it has been moved up market in terms of " styling", and pricing and is now the 8er

BMW has recalled the 850 moniker from the original 8 series and now also brought out an actual M8, which they did not do back in the 1990s.

BMW has 8 series grand coupes (aka sedans) on the horizon as well.

The 8 series also has 4 wheel steering, which was never in the 6er.

With that.. you should be up to date...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-M5 View Post
Why is the 8 series being compared to the S class when it is really in the E-coupe class category?
I think that 8-series is the new 6 and I am not quite sure what BMW are doing with their naming?!
perhaps you have not been keeping up with BMW... as opposed to the other way around.

BMW has killed the 6 series coupe and gran coupe.

the 6 series currently is a 5 door hatchback... er " GT"

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/6-se...n-turismo.html

the 6er as you knew it has been moved up market in terms of " styling", and pricing and is now the 8er

BMW has recalled the 850 moniker from the original 8 series and now also brought out an actual M8, which they did not do back in the 1990s.

BMW has 8 series grand coupes (aka sedans) on the horizon as well.

The 8 series also has 4 wheel steering, which was never in the 6er.

With that.. you should be up to date...
I am actually up to date, I read a lot about it, if not only about it, I drive one (see my name) and have driven bimmers for a while now.
I know that they killed the 6'er leaving just the GT but thats besides my point.
I just see a number change (6 to 8), no change in size, I tried sitting at the back and could not, I am 6ft. I have no such issues in an S-coupe and even E-coupe could be said that is slightly bigger at the back than the 8.
As for 4 wheel drive/steering etc thats just newer age, fashion and tech, I know you'll agree. You would not use the same logic and say that the new M5 is not a 5'er anymore just because it has 4 wheel drive, would you? New tech should not give it a new number, size does.
I just do not think that the 8 is in the same size (or class) as the S.
Now, I am not sure of the following but I am pretty convinced that the 8 is on the same platform as the 5'er and not the 7.
Whereas the S-coupe I would have thought is on the same platform as the S. And S is in the same size (class?) as the 7 and not the 5'er, right?
What am I missing?
Appreciate 0