View Single Post
      10-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #86
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Driving in traffic with manuals was never an issue with me, but it makes sense now in your case. You bought MT for economic reasons and not because you preferred it for better road connection, driver feel/experience, more fun, etc. In your case, since cost is no longer a factor, then it's understandable you'd switch to automatics.

But for others like me who enjoy the driving engagement of manuals (and not concerned with being slower than automatics ~0.5s in 0-60), even in traffic, over the numbing feel of automatics, we will keep buying manuals until there's no other choice.
No, no, your conclusion is wrong.

Yes, MT was the norm in the UK (and still is to a degree), but AT wasn't good in those days, particularly coupled to smaller output engines.

I chose to drive MT in my own vehicles. I did drive AT (was in the trade for a period) and chose MT primarily due to the driving experience.

I come from the time of driving 'crash box' MT, so no issues with driving skills in a decent MT.

The whole sales balance has changed with improved AT and particularly in larger output engines, even in the UK. Users will pay more for AT.

UK having many diesel models didn't help, 3.0d, (even the latest generation 2.0d) work best with an AT, it's as simple as that.

To the point, sales of MT in many models fell off a cliff. Therefore the option for MT has been dropped in many decent engine models.

Even the F10 M5 didn't come as MT in the UK, demand so low in the higher end models.
Appreciate 0