View Single Post
      09-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
this debate crops up so often, but I often close these threads down with this simple reality:

no one ever goes from pdk/dct to manual and then back to pdk/dct because they miss it

but LOTS of people go from manual to pdk/dct then back to manual because they miss it

thread closed
Not quite.

I know folks who drive auto, go manual and back to auto, because they can't be bothered with MT in daily traffic.

I drive AT, come from an MT background, (over 35 years of MT before I bought my first AT). Now when I drive MT, (which I do enjoy to a degree), no problem getting back in auto, with little desire to return to MT as a daily driver.

A personal observation. When MT was a simple 4-speed, (perhaps with overdrive), correct gears and appropriate changes were so much more important to good driving and harmonising with less and/or limited torque spreads. 6-speed MT less so, IMO, particularly as engines have a wider mid range and are generally more flexible. 'Multiple' gear changing can become a chore, more so than the precise driving interaction of the past.
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
heavyD^23688.50